the Sanskrit for Hand held attribute

Hartmut Buescher buescher at HUM.KU.DK
Mon May 10 23:46:15 UTC 2004

Dear John,

as your question indicates that you are not yet familiar
with Gudrun Bühnemann's recently published standard
works on iconography, I cannot resist to refer you to this
source of sheer delight for an indological iconologist:
(omitting the diacritics)

Gudrun Bühnemann
The Iconography of Hindu Tantric Deities
Volume I:
The Pantheon of the Mantramahodadhi
Volume II:
The Pantheons of the Prapancasara and the Saradatilaka

Groningen [Egbert Forsten]
2000 & 2001

Given the heavy interchanges/mutual dependencies of
Hindu and Buddhist Tantric iconographic features (as
demonstrated e.g. by Sanderson and Bühnemann herself),
also someone specialized in the Buddhist Tantric field will
surely profit from these volumes. Confirming Robert Goldman's
present reference to the term Ayudha-, Bühnemann, en passant,
speaks of "iconographic attributes (Ayudha)" (e.g. II: 150), while
clarifying the range of this notion as follows:

"The deities in the MM [= Mantramahodadhi] are described as
holding a variety of iconographic attributes, called "weapons" (Ayudha).
Besides actual weapons, Ayudhas include objects such as vessels,
manuscripts, flowers and animals. All of the attributes are listed in
appendix 1, section 5.4 of this book." (I: 49)

Cf. also MVy 6104 [Sasaki] ; CXLI (34) [Csoma de Körös]

Best wishes,

Hartmut