Summer academy on regional Sanskrit

Gary Tubb gat4 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jul 15 07:12:26 UTC 2004

I am forwarding the following message to the list at the request of Yigal
Bronner.

--Gary Tubb.

Subject: Summer 05
Date: Wednesday 14 July 2004 16:55
From: Yigal Bronner <ybronner at post.tau.ac.il>

Dear Friend,

In July 2005, the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities will host a
four-week Summer Academy on the topic of "Regional Sanskrit Literature,"
organized by Yigal Bronner and David Shulman. The Academy will take place
in Jerusalem at the Institute for Advanced Studies of the Hebrew
University. Our aim is to begin to explore the vast corpus of Sanskrit
literature composed during the second millenium A.D.--works composed in
significant relation to the emerging regional identities and literary
cultures--and to put in place an analytical program for studying these
materials.

We plan four weeks of intensive reading and discussion--from July 3 to
July 29, 2005--on the part of a select group of some 8 or 9 senior
Sanskritists and about 15 advanced students or junior scholars. If you
have or know of or happen to be a promising Sanskrit student or post-doc,
please refer to the following website for information about application,
accommodation, costs, and financial aid:

    http://www.as.huji.ac.il/summer_workshop/sanskrit_school.html

This website also includes a longer statement about the research agenda,
application procedures and prospective staff.

For further information, you may also contact Mr. Alex Tcherniak at

    alex at prism.as.huji.ac.il

With best wishes,
David Shulman and Yigal Bronner