graaha/nakra/makara

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Sun Feb 15 08:48:54 UTC 2004

Up to a point....  Sometimes *we* are the ones who are imprecise.
Think of the famous Indian painting in the V & A cheerfully captioned
'Lady with a Hawk', when the Lady is holding an extemely accurate
portrayal of a Lugger Falcon (Falco juggur).

I think on the whole people in earlier times in India and elsewhere
probably knew a lot more about wildlife and nature than most of us
do--they had to--but they didn't think about it in the same
categories (mammal, reptile, species, genus, etc).

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK