search for source of verses

marina orelskaya m_orelskaya at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 21 05:05:27 UTC 2004

The "dance verse" is

yato hastastato dR.STiryato dR.STistato manaH
yato manastato bhAvo yato bhAvastato rasaH

This one comes from the Nandibharata text, some parts
of which are published as two different works:
AbhinayadarpaNa and BharatArNava, both ascribed to
NandikeSvara. In the former the verse is repeated
twice, as ## 37 and 247, in the latter it is included
in the Appendix as # 9 (wrongly marked as 2 in 1998
edition). The original Nandibharata exists in few
remaining fragments incorporated in various
substitutes for the work.
I recollect having seen this verse quoted (without
reference to the source) in some other dance manuals
(both published and unpublished).
In modern dance practical traditions it is mostly
learnt from the AbhinayadarpaNa book.
I also suspect that it could be added to Nandibharata
much later and the original source of the verse is now
lost.
As far as my knowledge goes, NATyaSAstra doesn't have
it.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Marina Orelskaya