Tech> Gandhari Unicode ver. 2.6

Andrew Glass asg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Oct 15 06:05:00 UTC 2003

<My apologies for cross posting!>

It has recently come to my attention that Mac OS X.2 now offers Indologists
and Buddhologists complete Unicode access. For the first time, it seems the
Gandhari Unicode font works equally on all major platforms (Linux, Mac,
Windows). To celebrate this milestone I have produced a revised version of
the Gandhari Unicode font, this time with hinting to improve the on-screen
display at small point sizes.

The GU font is available from the Early Buddhist Manuscripts Website:
http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/software.html#fonts

Thanks to information from Michel Mohr and Toshiya Unebe I have also been
able to provide details on how to use the Gandhari Unicode font with Mac OS
X.2. Many additional links for using Unicode fonts with Mac, Linux, and
Windows are also provided. There are also links to alternative Unicode
fonts, such as Ulrich Stiehl's URW Palladio HOT, which should also work
with Mac OS X.2.

I have also fixed a bug in my Devanagari and Bengali Unicode input systems,
which caused ks.a to decompose. Updated versions of these keyboard files
are also available from the EBMP fonts page.

Andrew Glass

The Gandhari Unicode and Times Gandhari Romanization fonts are based on an
original Postscript font called "Nimbus Roman No9 L" created by
<http://www.urwpp.de/deutsch/home.htm>URW++ Design and Development
Incorporated and donated to the free software community under the
<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html#SEC1>GNU General Public License. The
Nimbus Roman No9 L font is itself based on the design for Times New Roman
by Stanley Morison (original trademark holder Monotype corporation). The
Gandhari fonts have been extended to display the special diacritics
necessary for Sanskrit and Gandhari and come in Roman, Italic, Bold, and
Bold Italic styles. For details of the history and codepoints of these
fonts see
<http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/downloads/GUdescription.txt>GUdescription.