Medical/military Sanskrit terms

Lielukhine D.N. lel at LEL.MSK.RU
Tue Jun 17 18:27:25 UTC 2003

Hello Martin,

MG> I would be grateful if anyone could comment on the following possibly
MG> technical terms, found in an 18th century Sanskrit text:

Without context it is possibly for me to comment two terms

MG> 1. senAmatya: 'army minister'. Is this a standard term with a standard
MG> translation?

It is obviously mistake from senAmAtya. Term AmAtya - usual and popular in
Ancient texts and inscriptions, 'a companion'(Mw), Hausgenosse,
Eigener, Gefahrte des Fursten (Bohtlingk) or, as I think the nobleman,
the ruler-aristocrat on a king's service, but not minister !
(uncorrected modernization - How you can present " military minister "
or other "ministers" in an ancient society of India ?) I think - senAmAtya, not used in KA,
Mbh, Shastras, but has the same meaning as senApati. Not important, if
the text from the 18th century - the meaning is traditional.

MG> 2. dhanasandhi: 'money treaty'. Is this perhaps a synonym of kA~ncanasandhi
MG> as mentioned by MW? (The context is a treaty between two kings after a war.)

I think, by Mw mentioned other context in Hit. - "gold" treaty in the
meaning "the best". Usual meaning for this type of "sandhi" -
"kozadAnena", "with paying tribute, from treasury", "purchase". See, for example,
Arthashastra VII.3.27-31. Gold treaty mentioned by Nitisara of
Kamandaki (IX.14.8. now I have not the text in hands to specify the Sanskrit
term - may be hiraNya mentioned) but in the same meaning "bringing gold, with reception of
gold". The meaning for dhana - 'Lohn',  is normal for Bohtlingk

--
Best regards,
 Lielukhine                            mailto:lel at lel.msk.ru