AW: Internal sibilant-sandhi after the i-vowel

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Thu Jan 30 08:35:56 UTC 2003

But such prefixes are not subject to the normal rules of internal
sandhi: they have their own, slightly irregular version.  "Vi-" as a
prefix does not normally cause a following s to become retroflex.
However, I imagine that it is not exactly incorrect to use the
retroflex.  (The grammar books I have to hand are not helpful on this
point.)

Cp. compounds.  Strictly, external sandhi rules should apply, but in
fact we have YudhiSThira, not *Yudhisthira.  Presumably the former
sounded more natural to speakers of the language.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK