Pancakanya

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 20 17:24:30 UTC 2003

Coming back to this query of last week:
for the brahma puraa.na the edition to consult
seems to be the one by Schreiner and S�hnen,
T�bingen 1989, Purana research publication no. 2,
with word, name and motif index. The
three-numeral indication of the place (7.3.219)
given in the query is apparently wrong as it does
not match the common system in the brahma
puraa.na, which works with adhyaaya and verse
numbers (also in older editions as far as I could
quickly see). Under ahalyaa I only found
references to the story of ahalyaa-gautama-indra
which is told in adhyaaya 87. No reference to
anything similar to "our" verse.
A three-numeral indication (kha.n.da - adhyaaya -
verse) does suit the brahmavaivartapuraa.na but
it seems that it does not go beyond kha.n.da 3.
The latter puraa.na seems full of enumeration of
female heroines and goddesses, but so far I did
not discern anything sufficiently similar to the
verse in the query. Closest is perhaps:
ahalyaa'rundhatii mainaa taaraa mandodarii paraa
/ damayantii vedavatii ga;ngaa ca yamunaa tathaa
(brahmavaiv.pur 2.16.68 in 1981
edition-plus-hindi-transl. by taari.niiza jha,
Hindi Sahitya Sammelan, Prayag).
Without checking I note that I found references
to a puraa.nic ahalyaa-tiirtha (matsya-puraa.na
190.86-89, skanda-puraa.na 1.2.52, kuurma
puraa.na 2.39.43, all to be checked) and that the
quoted verse would suit the context of such a
tiirtha or its maahaatmya.
Best, Jan Houben