introduction and a question

Whitney Cox wmcox at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Dec 16 20:45:33 UTC 2003

Dr. Collins,

Perhaps you mean the final verse of Bhart.rhari's Vairaagya"sataka (Chowkambha
ed.):

maatar medini taataa maaruta sakhe teja.h subandho jala
bhraatar vyoma nibaddha eva bhavataam antya.h pra.naanaa~njali.h |
yu.smatsa"ngava"sopajaatasuk.rtasphaarasphurannirmala-
j~naanaapaastasamastamohamahimaa liiye parabrahma.ni ||

In Ingalls' translation (An Anthology of Sanskrit Court Poetry, p 12):

My father wind and you my mother earth,
Fire, my friend, water, my near relation
And you my brother sky; in this last breath
Of mortal life I send you salutation.
> From living ever with you comes this birth
Of uncontaminated wisdom with increase
Of goodness that all darkness and all folly cease
As now I live in brahma in my death.

Whitney Cox