Kh instead of S in Yajur Veda

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Mar 5 16:58:51 UTC 2002

The recitation of Skt .s as kh in the Maadhyandina tradition must be at
least a few hundred years old.  It is explicitly discussed in a 17/18th
century text that I am currently editing and translating.  Further the use
of the character for .s to render kh is very common in old Marathi
manuscripts, indicating that at least regionally there is something
happening.  In village Marathi, Sanskrit vi.sa "poison" becomes iikh. This
is not a mere orthographic change, since I have heard the Maadhyandina YV
recitation in Pune demonstrating this phenomenon.
                                        Madhav Deshpande

--On Tuesday, March 5, 2002 4:00 PM +0100 Georg von Simson