agnidaNDa

Mahes Raj Pant mahesrajpant at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 27 09:17:43 UTC 2001

Dear List members

I came across a term, namely agnidaNDa in a royal decree from Nepal dated
1805. This document empowers a Brahmin to have the revenue acquired from the
agnidaNDa, which previously was enjoyed by another Brahmin. I wonder what
actually means the agnidaNDa in that context.
Interestingly, agnidaNDa is attested once in the Arthashasta (II.36.16).
Kangle translates the term as ‘the fine for (kindling) fire’.
I am pretty sure of other occurrences of the same term in various
disciplines of Sanskrit and related literature.  I hope my learned
colleagues can enlighten me in this matter.

Mahes Raj Pant

Dr Mahes Raj Pant
Asien-Afrika-Institut
Abteilung fuer Kultur und Geschichte Indiens und Tibets
Universitaet  Hamburg
Neue Rabenstrasse 3
D-20354 Hamburg
Germany