The Pandit: Traditional Scholarship in India

George Hart ghart at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 29 21:20:45 UTC 2001

I should add to my comments: the book looks quite interesting and
valuable.  My only quibble is not the main title (The Pandit), but
the addition of "Traditional Scholarship in India," which implies to
me that the book covers the whole of traditional scholarship.  As we
know, what pandits do is no doubt important, but is only the tip of
the iceberg as far as traditional learning goes.  We should at least
acknowledge the existence of the rest of the iceberg.  George Hart