"Saantideva's literary ability

Richard B Mahoney RBM49 at STUDENT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Tue Nov 27 19:33:13 UTC 2001

Dear All,

I am cross posting this request to both Indology and H-Buddhism. To
those who receive it twice my apologies.

I am trying to track down secondary literature on what seems to be a
form of literary affectation at the start of "Saantideva's
Bodhicaryaavataara and "Sik.saasamuccaya.

At BCA I:2ab (Minayeff's ed.) and "SS p. 1 ln. 11 (Bendall's ed.) a
similar half verse occurs :

 na hi ki.mcid apuurvam atra vaacya.m na ca
  sa.mgranthanakau"sala.m mamaasti | (Minayeff)

Surely such an opening is formulaic? Do readers know of any secondary
literature -- Indological or Buddhological -- on this subject?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
| 78 Jeffreys Rd                                 +64-3-351-5831 |