SV: UNiversity and Church

George Cronk george9252 at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Fri Mar 16 23:23:26 UTC 2001

The Bible rarely refers to Hebrew as a  language (although it refers to
"Hebrews" from time to time), and it never states that Hebrew was the
"original" language.  Quite the contrary, the "original" language is
depicted as lost, having been eclipsed by the many human languages inflicted
on the human race by God as a way of preventing the construction of the
Tower of Babel.

Further, there is certainly no mainstream (i.e., non-cultic) form of
Christianity that claims that Hebrew (or any other language) was the
"original" language.  I am not even aware of any Christian cults that make
this bizarre claim.  Christianity as such has no position whatever on the
question of what the "original" language was.  From a Christian point of
view, this is a completely irrelevant question, theologically speaking.

Re: American universities and American Christian churches:  No close
connection at all.  If anything, we have too much "separation of church and
state" in our educational system.

In my entire life (I am 52), I have not heard more than ten mentions of
Gandhi during Christian church services, and they have all been very
respectful (if anything, utterly uncritical).

What nonsense comes up on this "scholarly" list all too regularly!

Maybe this sort of thing should be shipped out to "Yahooooo!"

Dr. George Cronk
Chair, Dept. of Philosophy & Religion
Bergen Community College
Paramus, New Jersey