SV: SV: Workshop on Islamicate Culture in South Asia

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 12 16:17:02 UTC 2001

<<<
 Thank you for the information! I have never heard the term before, but when
 I see it explained, it seems fairly logical to create such a term.
 Islamicate then becomes "Islamic without the religion of Islam" or
 "non-Islamic but Islam-influenced". Quite neat.

 Lars Martin

 Thanks for kind acknowledgement.

 Yes, to many South Indians, some temple practices of Northern Hindus
 appear highly Islamicate.

 One of the main differences between Hindi vs. Urdu and the
 creation of Devanagari vs. Islamic scripts is the Hindus'
 efforts to "come out" of their Islamicate culture.
 This is one reason why an easy Roman based script is not
 acceptable to many politicians.