SV: An article mentionig Indologists

Satya Upadhya satya_upadhya at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 10 20:07:45 UTC 2001

In one of his articles (whose links M.Witzel gave), Rajaram says that the
Indian horse was distinct from the Central Asian horse and that the Rg Veda
talks of horses having thirty four ribs (seventeen on each side). He also
says that horse bones have been found at all levels at Harappan sites.

I would appreciate it if M. Witzel or others could talk a bit about
Rajaram's horse(es) or give some references. In particular i wish to know
about whether there is disagreement between respected archaeologists on this
issue.

As regards the Harappan seals, it is true that no horse seals have been
found, but does that really mean anything? Seals depicting bulls have been
found, but not seals depicting cows afaik.

As an aside, i wish to know how an industrial engineer gets to figure so
prominently in the present debate.

-Satya