SV: SV: Did you hear this?

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Tue Jan 30 11:03:17 UTC 2001

Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan [SMTP:vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK] skrev 30. januar 2001
11:28:

> I have also heard that students in other european countries rebelled
> against the teaching of Latin. This was part of student protests in the
> 1960s in many countries against the Establishment. Rejecting Latin was
part
> of rejecting Establishment.
>
> In India, if Establishment is to be rejected, then students will demand
> sanskrit since the "secular"  Establishment in India is very
anti-sanskrit.
> Any idea of sanskrit  evokes images of molten lead down the ears a la
Manu

I think India's business and technology community may have more prosaic
reasons for rejecting Sanskrit: money. There is not much money-making to be
had from Vedic mathematics or any other part of India's ancient science
history. Old knowledge, in India as elsewhere, is simply obsolete or
superseded. What matters, all the time, is new knowledge, the latest stuff.
If you want to hang on, that will take most of your time. Old knowledge are
for historians of various kinds. Interesting enough, but not exactly a
money-making machine.

I don't think there will be much success with the business/technology
community. But the future will tell!

All the best,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse