dvija varNa

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 9 14:45:30 UTC 2001

S. Hodge wrote:
>Pardon my ignorance, but I though "dvija" meant one was a brahmin.
>You were saying (probably correctly) that the Buddha was a k.satriya
>earlier so when did this transmutation occur ?

For all the three var.nas, except the Shudras, "dvija" (twice-born) is
applied. A good study of how this works in N. India:
The twice-born, a study of a community of high-caste Hindus,
Carstairs, G. M. (G. Morris), Indiana University Press, 1961.

Application of varNa schemes onto anything like fauna or flora:
Smith, Brian K., Classifying the universe : the ancient Indian varna system
and the origins of caste, OUP, 1994

Regards,
SM