fonts

Jaap Pranger yaap at XS4ALL.NL
Mon Feb 5 02:43:16 UTC 2001

Valerie J Roebuck wrote:

>I'm still looking for a really good version of Devanagari for Mac!

Devanagari fonts are included with Mac OS 8.5 and later.

In Mac OS 8.5 or 8.6, install "Multilingual Internet Access".
In Mac OS 9, install "Language Kits".

The 'Language Kit' software is not installed by default (Easy Install),
it needs a Custom Install.  You should pretend to do an OS install and
select 'Custom install' or 'Customize', then select 'Language Kits'.
Further customize by selecting the languages you want to install.

For Devanagri you need to have the WorldScript-I extension in the
Extensions folder inside the System folder (it should be installed
automatically when you install Devanagari, or Gurmukhi).

Easy, straightforward phonetic input is provided by the
'Devanagari-QWERTY' keyboard (likewise installed automatically).

Text editors/word processors are vary in suitability for editing
Devanagari, some have a rendering problem when reordering glyphs.
SimpleText and several other editors will do fine.

You can easily convert your Mac-Devanagari text to Unicode/UTF-8 using
the free character set conversion utility "Cyclone" by Tomasz Kukielka.
(Europe)   <http://www.ire.pw.edu.pl/~tkukiel/>
(USA)       <http://members.tripod.com/~tomaszek/>

HTH,
Jaap