SV: SV: Did you hear this?

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Feb 1 09:58:56 UTC 2001

Rama Das [SMTP:dasa at ONE.NET.AU] skrev 1. februar 2001 02:54:
> I  know that this is not Indology -- but! Can you provide me with a
living example of evolution? We hear so much about Darwinism and evolution,
but is it not a case of evolution happened in the past, evolution will
happen in the future, but evolution is not happening just now?!

Since this is not Indology, I'll be very brief:

1. There is a vast literature on evolution and the various versions of the
theory. If you want to know more, you may visit an academic bookshop.

2. Modern animal breeding is a good example of controlled evolution. We
produce better and bigger (or smaller) cows, goats, sheep, dogs and what
not. We manipulate milk production or fleshyness in cows, and we change the
qualities of other animals through genetic techniques. Most of this happens
in nature too, but incredibly slowly, so that the results only become
visible after hundreds of thousands of years. As Vidyasankar has pointed
out, Classical Darwinism has been modified, which is precisely what we
would expect in a scientific theory. But that does not mean that darwinism
is dead. To the contrary, check out Ernst Mayr's article in Scientific
American, July 2000, p. 66ff.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,