What next

Kengo Harimoto kharimot at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 18 00:39:45 UTC 2001

Hello list,

Gunthard Mueller's idea is something I have long been pondering about.
Setting up a server shouldn't be difficult (but maitaining it would
be).  If I had a machine with permanent connection to the Net, I would
consider it.

Another idea I have been pondering was to have indology.net or
indology.org domain and a web site.  Last time I checked, the Network
Solution reserves those domain names.  (Which, I assume, is for sale.)

There is a popular geek site called slashdot.org.  It offers quite
reasonable moderation system, and its source is open.

The slash system works like this: topics are posted chosen from
submissions to the site.  The selection and the postings of the topics
are done by a few administrators.  Members and even non-members can
post comments to the topics.  Automatically rotating anonymous
moderators give and take points to and from the comments.  And readers
can set the threshold at which points they want to read the comments.
So, if one moderator marks a comment as a flamebait, (score -1)
someone reading the site at threshold over 0 does not have to read it.
BTW they call the system karma system.

My description may not seem comprehensive.  So, I'd urge interested
parties to look at the site.

I have been wondering if indology ever goes to web based discussion
forum, it could implement slash style system.

Flame wars and trolls have always been part of the Internet (as long
as I know).  I certainly miss Indology if it dies because of them.

--
kengo