Ancient Indians and the science of flying

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Sep 19 12:15:27 UTC 2000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Narayan R. Joshi wrote:
[...]

> The book,"Brihad Vimanashastra" by the ancient sage Bharadvaja is well
> known to Indologists.

On the contrary, I'm afraid it is the general opinion of indologists that
such a book is a modern creation of the mid-twentieth century.

A quick glance through the standard index to Sanskrit literature in
manuscript, Aufrecht's Catalogus Catalogorum, shows that no work called
"Brhadvimanasastra" nor "Vimanasastra" exists.

I have answered this query more fully in message #8932 of June 1997 which
is in the INDOLOGY archive.  See:

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9706&L=indology&P=R16191

--
Dominik Wujastyk