muSTANDa, apANDa, eunuchs

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at LOYNO.EDU
Fri Sep 8 21:27:54 UTC 2000

Indologists,

   In a March Indology message responding to a query by Ruth Schmidt,
Georg von Simpson provided an explanation for Hindi-Urdu "muSTANDa",
noting an observation that Wezler had made concerning "apa-ANDa" along the
way. If someone could supply me with the title to Wezler's article (ZDMG
148 (1998), pp. 261-276) I would appreciate it.

   Any information / references about eunuchs in ancient India would also
help me to advise a classical studies student who is very interested in
doing research on this topic. [Key words: chinnamuSka, hRtapuMstva,
varSavara, sthApatya, kaMcukin, sauvida, sauvidalla (Apte)]

Thanks very much,
Tim Cahill