orientalism

Rajesh Kochhar rkk at NISTADS.RES.IN
Tue Oct 31 04:18:16 UTC 2000

Permit me to quote from my The Vedic People (Hyderabad:Orient Longman,2000) on orientalism:

Following Said(1978),we may define orientalism as an ideological and operational paradigm consciously created by the west to define and describe the east in such a manner as to facilitate and justify control by the west.{note 26,page 228)

Orientalism,which became confrontationist in the Islamic world,was persuasive and seductive in India.It took the form of Indo-Europeanism.It is thus not surprising that Friedrich Max Mueller's (1823-1900)researches at Oxford were funded by the East India Company.{page 9}

Rajesh Kochhar