Types of Indology

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 26 14:57:08 UTC 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Dr Y. Vassilkov wrote:

>     To distinguish between modern scholars and traditional scholars is easy.
> The difference is not in the measure of love to India or to its religion. A
> traditional scholar believes that, e.g., the MahAbhArata was written (or
> dictated to Ganesh) by MahArishi VyAsa in the beginning of the Kaliyuga,
> i.e. more than 3000 years before common era. The dating of the MahAbhArata
> by a modern scholar takes into account all the relevant facts which had been
> proven and painstakingly collected by many generations of Indologists.

Here we go again!  You have to distinguish between religious fanatics
and traditional scholars.  That Mahabharata had anything to do with
mythical Ganesha is religion.  That its writer was Vyasa is
admiration of scholarship.  To identify who was vyasa or how many vyasas
existed can be modern.  Material may exist and we don't know yet.

There is a tacit recognition in Indian literature that extreme
creativity has to be attributed to "external" empowerment.  Here
we come to mind-brain complex.  Since none of us has been as
creative as the writers of classical texts, we cannot honestly
fathom if Ganesha or Kali was involved.  Scriptural writing is
very different than scientific writing.  The imagination in
scriptures is fanciful and occasionally extra-human.  That men/women
were able to write such material makes you think of extra attributes.
Do try to write a five page poem and post!  Then empirically
examine the efforts involved..

Best regards,

Bijoy Misra