Black as Evil

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 27 16:41:09 UTC 2000

<<<
 > I know a lot of people who are scared of the dark.
 > Do you know anyone scared of the light?

 Abinos ?  Vampires ?

 But I wonder if there is any correlation between colours for
 mourning -- many cultures use white for mourning rather than black so
 it would be interesting to note whether they consider black to be
 negative or positive in other contexts.

 Consider South India. Widows traditionally wear white saris.
 These white-clothed widows were considered so inauspicious,
 sighting them in a journey was an indication of a bad omen
 and white clothed ladies were never allowed to participate
 in family functions even if it was their offspring's wedding.