Differences between oral and written Taittiriya Samhita

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 23 13:35:16 UTC 2000

Dear list members,

Vidhyanath Rao Wrote:
>Looking at the text version of the TS at TITUS,
...At boundaries
>marked as ` / ' (ardhrca?) and ` // ' (actual
>breaks), there is only aH.

In the HTML version of TITUS Weber's TS the paragraphs I mentioned i.e.
4.5.2 and 4.5.3 the padas end in "as" not "aH".  (except the final pada of
course)

Is it most likely that:

1) In the manuscripts Weber was using padas of paragraphs  4.5.2 and 4.5.3
ended in "namo" but he changed them to "namas".

or

2) In the manuscripts Weber was using padas of paragraphs  4.5.2 and 4.5.3
ended in "namaH" but he changed them to "namas".

or

3) In the manuscripts Weber was using padas of paragraphs  4.5.2 and 4.5.3
ended in "namas".

Also as I noted in my previous post: In the TITUS on-line version of Weber's
Vajasaneyi edition the corresponding padas of the satarudriya end in "namo"
not "namas".  And thats what made me question whether it was just an
editorial decision of Weber's without at least some manuscriptural basis.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.
Hurleyville, New York