Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

rohan.oberoi at CORNELL.EDU rohan.oberoi at CORNELL.EDU
Sun Nov 5 02:57:55 UTC 2000

Bjarte Kaldhol wrote:

>The (normal) Hurrian word for seven is "thindi" (written $i-in-di or
>$i-in-ti; the th was pronounced interdentally, as in English) and
>cannot have influenced satta- in sattavartanna. I am not convinced by
>any of the efforts made so far to explain away the satta- form.

Bjarte, I did find Hock's article. He refers to Friedrich 1940 as
having shown that Mitanni {s<atta} "may owe its {tt} to" the Hurrian
word for 'seven' (which Hock transcribes as {s<inta/s<itta}).

This {s<inta/s<itta} seems to conflict with your {$i-in-di/$i-in-ti}.
Since this seems to be your area of expertise, you should be able to
investigate the contradiction.  The Friedrich reference is: Friedrich,
Johannes 1940: "Aus verschiedenen Keilschriftsprachen, 3-4",
Orientalia, N.S. 9: 348-361.

Regards,
Rohan.