zakti [was vajra]

Ven. Tantra troyoga at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 3 04:02:00 UTC 2000

Subject: zakti [was vajra]

S. Hodge wrote:

<<Whenever I read an author who uses the term "`sakti"
for the female consorts (vidyaa/praj~naa) of Buddhas,
I find I get alarm-bells going off in my head. I think
to myself, "If this guy doesn't know that that term is
never used in Buddhist tantras (with the exception of
the late Kaalacakra-tantra) and why not, how reliable
is the rest of his/her stuff". This case seems to be
typical -- it seems very reductionist and superimposes
onto Buddhist tantrism interpretations that are borne
out by traditional commentaries. >>

Setting the trustworthiness question of Walker's work
aside, I would like to put forth a few questions.

Prior to Her 'expansion' into Mahaayaana ritual and
iconography, is Taaraa not considered a zaktis? Would
her essence have altered whilst appearing midst the
'revisionist' Buddhic milieu? Is a rose not a rose by
any other name? What exactly is meant by
"interpretations that are borne out by traditional
commentaries"?

With thanks,

VT