Impact of mantra recital on health

Tue May 9 13:52:38 UTC 2000

Dr.  Herbert Benson of Harvard Medical School and of the Mind/Body project
(  http://www.mindbody.harvard.edu/   ) has been doing serious research,
over the past few decades, of meditation (MT, Tibetan monks, etc. etc. ),
and its effects: lowering of rate of metabolism, more recently also using
brain scanning: with clearly visible effects, and if I remember correctly,
ultimately, linking of left & right hemisphere.
Definite paper on this topic  due in about a week.

According to this, the trick is that any "mantra" works, whether it is "oM
"or "namo buddhaaya" or "hail Mary" or "Allahu Akbar", or just *any* old
syllable or word such as "one",  "bad", or whatever. It is the repetition
that does it. Same with repetition of movements (Dervish dances etc. etc.).
Old human method.

For the time being, see his books:
                                       BENSON HERBERT 1935
                                        25
                                           behavioral medicine work stress
and health/ 1985 bks
                                        26
                                           beyond the relaxation response
how to harness the healing power/ 1984 bks
                                        27
                                           mind body effect how behavioral
medicine can show you the way to/ 1979 bks
                                        28
                                           mind body effect how behavioral
medicine can show you the way to/ 1980 bks
                                        29
                                           relaxation response/ 1975 bks
                                        30
                                           relaxation response/ 1976 bks
                                        31
                                           timeless healing the power and
biology of belief/ 1996 bks
                                        32
                                           wellness book the comprehensive
guide to maintaining health and/ 1991 bks
                                        33
                                           wellness book the comprehensive
guide to maintaining health and/ 1993 bks
                                        34
                                           your maximum mind/ 1987 bks
 -------------

>Is there any research (completed/ongoing) on the impact of
>mantra recital on health -- more specifically the mental
>health, i.e. the psychological/psychiatric problems ?
>Any references (web-sites/print/contact persons) will be
>helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Surya P. Mittal

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:  http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs