Info on Bhattas

Axel Michaels axel.michaels at URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Wed Mar 29 08:41:23 UTC 2000

nanda chandran schrieb:

> Can someone give me information on Bhattas?
>
> I understand that they're brahmins, but which part of the country are they
> predominant in?

Some information you can get in the old gazetteers, e.g. Nanjundaya/Iyer 1928:
314; Bhattacharya, Hindu Castes and Sects (p. 73 and 83). Bhatta was a caste
name as well as a title, not necessarily, but predominantly for brahmins.

It´s also a caste name for brahmins in Nepal, as well a term for the priests of
the Pashupatinatha temple (which are from South India).

Best wishes, A.M.

Prof. Dr. Axel Michaels             e-mail:  axel.michaels at urz.uni-heidelberg.de

Dept. of Classical Indology        phone:  ++49-6221-548817
South Asia Institute                    fax:       ++49-6221-546338
University of Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330
69120 Heidelberg
Germany