on zankara's date - 2

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 22 10:03:57 UTC 2000

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

> Not really. I don't claim that Sankara's followers
> were exclusively Saivas.
> I don't doubt that Vaishnava groups also got
> influenced by Sankaran Advaita.

Yes of course. I was trying to distinguish between
advaitin's and pancharatrin's as two distinct groups
of vaishnavas, among others.

> All I'm saying is that there must have been a
> significant Saiva orientation
> even among Sankara's direct disciples.

Even assuming this is true, it is surprising to me
that there seems to have been no major doctrinal
attempt to bridge the distance between advaita and the
emotional siva bhakti of the nAyanmAr's. From the time
of Sankara to the end of Rajendra I, the Chola
emperor, is I guess about 250 years.

Thanks and Warm Regards,

LS