Varaahamihira quotation

Dr Anthony P Stone stone_catend at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Jul 27 15:27:02 UTC 2000

Martin Gansten wrote on  Wed, 26 Jul 2000

> Balabhadra in his Horaaratna quotes the following verse from
> Varaaha(mihira):
>
> yad upacitam anyajanmani zubhaazubha.m tasya karma.na.h paktim /
> vya=F1jayati zaastram etat tamasi dravyaa.ni diipa iva //
>
> I have not been able to locate this verse either in the B.rhajjaataka or
> the B.rhatsa.mhitaa. Does anyone recognize it? (References to similar
> verses, linking astrology with karman, are also very welcome.)

It is Laghu Jaataka 1.3.

Similar is V.riddha Yavana Jaataka 1.3

Cf.- B.rihatsa.mhita [BS] 85.5 [anyajanmaa ...];
- Bha.t.totpala on BS 45.3 (quoting Garga: tato'parcaaro ...);
- on B.rihajjaataka 1.3 [& text], quoting "Yavanezvara" (= Sphujidvaja, Yavana
Jaataka 43.11-13);
- Atharvaveda Parizi.s.ta,2.1.2-5;
- Ga.ne.sa Daivaj~na's Vivaahadiipika commentary on Vivaaha-v.rindavana: see his
extended treatment on 1.3;
- Yaj~navalkya m.riti 3.162-163; 1.349-351;
- Atharva Jyoti.sa 157-161.

[My transliteration may be defective in places!]

Tony Stone