Harappan 'non-texts'?

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 14 18:46:06 UTC 2000

>>Many wooden materials and palm leaves, possibly written with IVC
>>signs, would have been lost forever due to the harsh climate.

<<<
This thread began, back on July 1, with four powerful arguments
*against* te view that there were extensive texts written on
perishable materials in the IVC. To review those arguments -- as I
write this the Indology archives are "down" -- go to:

http://www.safarmer.com/pico/scribalpressure.html

Those arguments have not been addressed by Ganesan, who did not take
part the later discussion of this issue. Instead of confronting those
arguments, he choses to point to an obvious typo as proof that I
misspelled a word!

I generally agree with your theory that long written texts
might not have existed in the ivc. My point is that even within
the short inscriptions, common wooden utility items seem to have
been represented.

Regards,
N. Ganesan