Sakadwipa (RE: Rising of the sea and other Migration myths)

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sat Jan 29 00:17:07 UTC 2000

Yashwant Malaiya wrote:

> >Though the MahAbhArata really places the ZAkadvIpa continent to the
> >east of Meru (XII.14.23),
>
> My guess is that mount Meru corresponds to the region where
> the Hindukush and Himalaya ranges merge. I have wondered if
> Tirich Mir, the sacred mountain of the Kafirs (who are now
> virtually extinct) has some connection with Meru.

Some astronomers place Meru on the same meridian as Ujjain and others
on the same meridian with Lanka.  The former could support your
theory. The Chinese seemed to think that Meru was in the Kunlun range
which seems more in keeping with the Lanka meridian. However, sometimes
Ujjain and Lanka are placed on the same longitude so it's not exactly a
science.

The mountain though seems to be located in the northernmost region known
to ancient India.

> I have wondered about the "Mandaga" who came with the
> Maga, but were given Shudra status. What happened to
> them? Also I have wondered about the origin of the
> term Bhojaka (explanation is that the Maga married
> daughters of the Bhoj clan of the Yadavas).

The Bhavishya Purana explains that the Bhojakas offer food (bhoj)
to the Sun every day. They were the temple priests. They had a practice
of remaining silent while eating.

The Purana also has interesting discussion on caste stating that it
should not be a hindrance to spiritual growth. The examples given of low
caste persons who achieved success are Parasara, Vasistha, Mandapala and
Shukadeva.

> Gandasa's (Gurupdesh S. Pandher) "Sakasthan" is where the
> Jats live today (NW part of the Indian subcontinet). Its a new
> political movement with apparently only one supporter so far.

So that's what happened to Gurupdesh. He also believes, following
Cunningham, that the Mauryans and Guptas had Western extra-Indian
origin. Considering that is used to be common practice to assign East
Indian culture (Neolithic, Copper Hoard, urban, etc.) to such
influences, he has a lot of published material to work with (but nothing
substanial).

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--