Vital Statistics

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Mon Jan 10 18:11:56 UTC 2000

RB>Mathematics is less forgiving and we should remember that the world
>is now using the place value notation which Indians used very early in
>history. Imagine calculus, engineering, computer/microprocesser design
>based on roman numerals and its associated algebra.
>The sanskrit or tamil alphabet is a powerful abstraction, something on the
>lines of the periodic table of elements or taxonomy in biology.

NG>   The roman letters are preferred over the indian kind and, Indian
  place value notation in the world. Both for efficiency.

RB>     I am confused. My impression is that the place value notation of
today was never used by romans. Even Binary     arithmatic in microchips is
dependant on the place value notation ( scaling up by an order magnitude
with a bit      shift). I would like to know about other non INdian cultures
which independantly evolved such a notation. The chinese        abacus would
be one example but I dont know if that predates such systems in India.

        Even the mordern arabic numerals used through out the world
resemble and originate from indian numerals.

regards

Rajarshi