Oedipus in Sanskrit?

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Mon Feb 7 00:46:59 UTC 2000

The following question is forwarded from the Classics List by request from
Anne Mahoney.  Answers my be sent directly to her, but I'd appreciate seeing
any responses [which I would forward to the Classics List, where there are
others interested in the question]. Perhaps other Indologists would also be
interested.

Thanks from George Thompson, as well as from Anne Mahoney [mahoa at bu.edu (Anne
Mahoney)].

I've been reading Lowell Edmunds's "Oedipus:  The Ancient Legend and its Later
Analogues."  Edmunds makes the tantalizing remark in his introduction that
he's
left out a few potentially relevant Sanskrit folktales for reasons of space.
I'm curious:  does anyone have a reference to Oedipus-like stories in
Sanskrit?
What I really want is to see if there's an Indo-European version of the story
from which Sophocles might have taken a detail or two (formulaic, metrical, or
in the plot).  Watkins, "How to Kill a Dragon," provides no enlightenment.
Any
leads would be gratefully received.  This is highly tangential to my real work
but it's piqued my curiosity.

--Anne Mahoney
Boston U
Stoa Consortium