35mm microfilm

Claude Setzer cssetzer at MUM.EDU
Wed Dec 27 19:07:40 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gunthard Mueller" <gm at ANTHOSIMPRINT.COM>
To: <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2000 2:32 AM
Subject: Re: 35mm microfilm

> Hello, Claude,
> we have professional 35mm scanning equipment here--the problem is that the
> Indian microfilm material (it contains a fairly large palm-leaf
manuscript)

Dear Gunthard,

I looked at my 35 mm film attachment, and like yours, it requires cutting
film into 6 exposure strips.

But there are several solutions to this.
1) Make or have a contact print made. This is done extensively in the movie
industry, who's film should be higher  resolution than yours, and the copy
should be extremely close to the original if done well. Then you can cut
your copy any way you like. (It might now be negative, but software should
allow easy reversal.)

2) If you can find an intelligent and reasonable person in charge, they
should recognize the jeopardy of the original and should be happy to let you
make them a copy that will extend the life of their treasure. So either give
them your microfilm copy (so you can cut the original) or set them up to
view and print your digital copy.

3) modify your film holder so that the film can come out both ends of the
holder. OR modify your scanner and have an appropriate 35mm holder made. If
you have large quantity of film, this may be the best, least expensive, and
most direct solution. If there is a university around that does
semiconductor processing and research or some semiconductor research
facility, they usually will have some excellent machinists who can design
and make the needed adaptors.

If you cannot get this done I may be able to help. Again, also, I am
interested to know what type of documents you have access to and how large
the collection of film is. Plus what the time frame for decay of the film
is. (weeks, months or years??)

Thanks
Claude