the so-called "double-truth"

John Richards jhr at UNIVERSALIST.SCREAMING.NET
Wed Dec 27 09:40:27 UTC 2000

Steve

As this quotation is hardly indological, I sent it to you off-list.

Julian of Norwich says, for example -

For in the Beholding of God we fall not, and in the
beholding of self we stand not; and both these [manners
of beholding] be sooth as to my sight. But the Beholding
of our Lord God is the highest soothness. (Chapter 82)

There is no question of textual "accommodation" here, but of two different
ways of seeing man's responsibility. Most religious double level truth
expression is along this line, as I see it.

Best wishes

John