Origins of the "double-truth"

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Mon Dec 25 17:40:05 UTC 2000

Dear listmembers,

The Celts, too, looked to Greece and Asia Minor as their cultural focus.
Five hundred years before Caesar's time, Ionian Greeks with the same
background as Parmenides founded Marseille and would have influenced the
Celts in France. One of the first Celtic towns (with a wall of mud bricks
in Near Eastern style!), Heuneburg on the Danube (600-450 BC), already
shows Greek and Levantine influence. When this large Celtic fortess was
first built, Rome was nothing but a small group of villages made of
wattle-and-daub-huts, but the first German excavators believed that
Heuneburg must be Roman, from a much later period! About the middle of the
sixth century, the Celts were subjected to very strong Greek and
Mediterranean influences. One Celtic group, the Galatae, was invited to
Anatolia early in the third century BC and formed a state there. So,
Celtic traditions recorded by Caesar would no longer have been genuinely or
exclusively Indo-European; they were "Mediterranean", that is, they were
strongly influenced by the culturally dominant Ancient Near East, as were
Etruscan traditions.

For possible Greek contacts with India in the time of Pythagoras, see
GNOMON 40 (1968), p. 8f.

Best wishes,
Bjarte Kaldhol

----------
> From: Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at ONLINE.NO>
> To: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
> Subject: SV: Origins of the "double-truth"
> Date: 25. desember 2000 15:48
>
> Bjarte Kaldhol [SMTP:bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO] skrev 25. desember 2000
15:06:
> > I have not read Bruce Lincoln's book and do not know why he places
> > Parmenides in an old Indo-European tradition of which India is also a
> part.
> > Parmenides' background was  the Ionian Asia Minor, where Greek
philosophy
> > was born, in contact with oriental influences. Indian influence on
Greek