H.C. Bhayani

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Fri Dec 22 15:16:08 UTC 2000

I have been travelling and hence unable to check my e-mail regularly or frequently. I do not know if the following sad news has been brought to the attention of Indologists.

I recently learned in a telephone conversation with Mr. Utpal Bhayani that his father Professor Harivallabh C. Bhayani, the doyen of Prakrit, Apabhra.m;sa and Early New Indo-Aryan scholars in India, passed away on 11 November 2000 at Mumbai. Born on 26 May 1917, Professor Bhayani had been suffering for the last 2-3 years from occasional illnesses. However, his pursuit of scholarship continued undiminished almost until the end of his life. Those who were fortunate enough to know this highly gifted and yet very modest scholar could not but be impressed by his genial personality and pleasant speech. I for one made it point to see him whenever I happened to be in Ahmedabad. His wide reading and ability to relate to scholars of all ages impressed me in all the meetings I had with him. He is survived by his wife and his son Utpal Bhayani, who can be contacted at 12 Madhuvan Society, 81 Sarasvati Rd., Santacruz (West), Mumbai 400 054, telephone (022) 649-0575. E-mail: <bhayani at bom5.vsln.net.in>

ashok aklujkar