Origins of the "double-truth"

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Thu Dec 21 00:14:52 UTC 2000

Satya Upadhya wrote:

> By "they", you are referring to S.N. Dasgupta (see his "Indian
> idealism" and the 1st vol. of his "History of Indian Philosophy);
D.P.
> Chattopadhyaya (see his "What is living and what is dead in Indian
> Philosophy"); Satkari Mookherjee (see the "Nana-nalanda Mahavira
Research
> Publications 1957" (of which he is editor); and also his "Budhist
Philosophy
> of Universal Flux"); Stcherbatsky (see his "Conception of Budhist
Nirvana
> and "Budhist Logic"); and also, with some reservations,
S.Radhakrishnan
> (2nd vol. of his "Indian Philosophy") and B.N.K. Sharma (see the 1st
vol. of
> his "History of Dvaita school of Vedanta and its literature"). I am
sure
> there are other scholars who have drawn similar conclusions; this is
just a
> prelimnary list.

As far as I can see, the scholars you mention, eminent though they may
be, are not very recent -- Buddhist studies have moved on somewhat
since the 1960s -- for example, Stcherbatsky is considered "an
important pioneer" (a polite way of saying he is largely out of date
in his interpretations.  I think you will not find many of your other
scholars cited in bibliographies for academic studies of Buddhism
these days.   I cannot comment on Vidyasankar Sundaresan's statements
about Vedaanta but what he says makes very good sense from the
Buddhist view of this matter.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge