Black as Evil

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 6 16:00:14 UTC 2000

Kendra Crossen Burroughs <kcbjb at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:
>   Once I was editing a book by Marie-Louise von Franz, the Jungian
>analyst, and she was discussing a German fairy tale called Die Schwarze
>Frau, The Black Woman. I realized that this did not mean a woman with dark
>skin, as the contemporary reader would assume. I think the notion of black
>as corresponding to the evil or shadow is so deep-rooted that it is probably
>a lost cause to change the language in order to correct the political
>situation. (Like anti-Semitism, it is something almost archetypal that isn't
>going away any time soon, no matter how thoroughly it is explained.)

Jungian expression "archetypes", and applying his analysis approach
may not be fit to be called "universal".

On the "Aryan" Jung, see Prof. Dan Lusthaus' write:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9901&L=indology&P=R11515
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9901&L=indology&P=R14594

On the opposite, black as God (Krishna, Rama, Narayana) and white as the colour

for mourning is used in India for at least five millennia.