Language (Was: Re: Some nat./chauvinistic web sites)

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Thu Aug 10 00:37:53 UTC 2000

phillip.ernest at UTORONTO.CA writes:

> And if we have to mention such naughty things, let it be in the
>  Sanskrit of the Kamasutra.

I'm afraid that this is not politically correct.  Given the range of the
scholarly interests of this list, I think that Vedic obscenity [of which
there is much] would also have to be permitted.  Likewise, we would have to
permit our friends Palaniappan and Ganesan, among others, to offer obscenity
from classical Tamil.  And furthermore, if Dominik will permit it, we will
have to invite obscenity from the dozens of vernaculars, rich in traditional
obscenity, to be sure, that list members are much more familiar with than
chaste I.

However, I would be willing to go along with the suggestion that European
languages should be forbidden [even Latin, the default language of obscenity
among Western scholars and a great resource for those who have access to it].
After all, this is the Indology List, for goodness sake, and it is our
olbigation to remain Indological -- no?

[and for those who have lost their sense of humor because of the Rajaram
debacle -- I know that I haven't -- this post is facetious, just like
Srini's, in fact].

Best wishes to all.

George Thompson