Nationalisms

Narayan S. Raja raja at IFA.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Aug 8 22:41:15 UTC 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, nanda chandran wrote:

> Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

> >And that the Indians have had half a century to set things right?

Lars, things have in fact already improved
tremendously in the last 50 years, and are
continuing to improve.

FYI, this childish whining about Brits is unknown
when Indians are among themselves.  We know that
a defeated country can expect the worst from its
invaders, so we are not surprised    :-)  :-)

> >The Indian politicians have to carry that responsibility themselves.

Of course.

> This bunch themselves - most of them thugs - are a product of Brit
> cunning and Indian naivete.

One never hears this kind of undignified, humiliating,
childish whining about Brits when Indians are among
themselves.   Sanctimonious comments from foreigners
seem to set it off.  Don't take it seriously.  BTW,
"naive" Indians are hard to find.

> What meaning has democracy in a country
> where half the population is illiterate?

Democracy becomes even more essential in such
a case, since it gives even illiterate people
an equal say.  BTW, the literacy rate as of 2000
is believe to be about 63%, and is increasing by
1 to 1.5 percentage points per year.  It looks like
the literacy rate will be over 90% in 20 more years.

Regards,

Narayan Sriranga Raja.