Rajaram's bull/Hindutva (response to BhG)

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Aug 8 00:32:36 UTC 2000

At 04:35 PM 08/06/2000 +0000, Bharat Gupt wrote:

>The colonial era created a more restrictive and lexical definitions both
of Brahminism
>and the Hindu by restricting them to mean only those who accept the Vedas
and Upanishads
>as revelation. Whereas historically, Buddhists, Jains, Shaivs etc had all
accepted the
>var.na system...

In the first part of your statement you refer to accepting the Vedas as
revelation, but then you mention Buddhism and Jainism and instead of
continuing to talk about whether the Vedas are considered as revealed or
not you talk about the varNas.  I assume you are not saying that Buddhists
and Jains accept the Vedas as revealed texts.

Best wishes,

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
University of California, Berkeley