Fool Jokes in Skt lit [was: Arguing techniques]

Roland Steiner steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Thu Apr 27 12:53:05 UTC 2000

> There are a number of texts which are collections of "fool stories",
> some included in Kathasaritsagara, a Jaina collection edited long ago
> by Jacobi, and the Buddhist Baiyu-jing [One Hundred Parables Sutra]
> has parallels for about half its tales in Indian Skt texts. The
> stories I remember from the Jaina text are about stupid Brahmins. I
> don't have the references here, [snip]

My fingers could only snap out the following ;-) :
- Édouard Chavannes: Cinq cents contes et apologues, extraits
du Tripi.taka Chinois et traduits en français. Tome II. Paris
1911, pp. 150-230 (French translation of the Baiyu-jing)
- Kathaasaritsaagara 60-63; 65, 140 ff.
- B.rhatkathaama~njarii XVI. 568-584.
- Johannes Hertel: Ein altindisches Narrenbuch. Leipzig 1912.
- Bhara.takadvaatri.m"sikaa, ed. by J. Hertel, Saechsische
Forschungsinstitute in Leipzig, Ind. Abt. Nr. 2, 1921.

(These references are by no means complete nor exhaustive.)

Roland Steiner