Lokananda

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 25 18:27:56 UTC 2000

 Thanks, Sir for responding to my query.
 I have a reference a friend gave me: Ratna Hadurukande,
 Manicudavadana, being a translation and edition, and
 Lokananda: a transliteration and synopsis, Luzac, 1967.

 Very interesting. Pilgrimage to Malaya (Potiyil) is
 common in tamil epics, CilappatikAram and Manimekalai.
 In the buddhist manimekalai, the vidyaadhara couple,
 kAyacaNTikai and her lover go to Malaya/Potiyil.
 S. Beal and Th. Watters, in their translations, give
 the Chinese Pilgrim's identification of Potalaka with
 Malaya mount in the 7th century. Later, Tibetan texts
 tell of Candragomin settling in Potalaka and recovering
 Sanskrit grammar there. The scanty pieces are interesting
 along with VP 2.486

  The sparse occurence of Malaya in Lokananda, and was
  it expanded in Harsha's Nagananda?

  With kind regards,
  SM