Sanskrit proper names

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Apr 25 08:27:09 UTC 2000

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, J. Neelis wrote:

> Edgerton's Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary contains
> references to many (but certainly not all) Buddhist Sanskrit proper
> names. For Sanskrit proper names in general, useful sources include Alfons
> Hilka's Die altindischen Personennamen (Breslau: 1910)and S. Sorensen's An
> Index to the Names in the Mahabharata (1904). Inscriptions from Buddhist
> archaeological sites such as Bharhut and Sanchi stupas, cave monasteries
> in the Western Ghats, and graffiti complexes in the Northern Areas of
> Pakistan also illuminate Buddhist naming practices.
>
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Christian Coseru wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a dictionary (or any other type of publication) of
> > Buddhist Sanskrit proper names? For Pali there is G.Malalasekera's
> > _Dictionary of Pali Proper Names_. Is there anything equivalent for
> > Buddhist/Hindu Sanskrit? I have searched the online catalogues of several
> > major libraries without much success.

Probably one should mention Chizen Akanuma's Indo bukkyo koyu meishi
jiten, too. This work is nearly a contemporary of Malalasekera's and it
has been reprinted more than once. It gives the references to the
Taisho ed. of the Chinese canon (besides those to the Pali canon and
some stray references to Sanskrit Buddhist works).

Peter

--
Peter Wyzlic
Indologisches Seminar, Universitaet Bonn