SV: snake & mongoose in ancient India

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed Apr 12 19:11:32 UTC 2000

Jonathan Silk [SMTP:jonathan.silk at YALE.EDU] skrev 12. april 2000 18:03:
> quotes a handout from an AOS meeting of a talk given by Joshua Katz,
> admitting that he is not in touch with the latter, the author whom he
> quotes. Is this permissable? If Dr Katz himself provides us
> information, that is one thing, and if he has published certainly his
> material is in the public domain, but had we not rather be careful
> about quoting things like handouts for talks?

As a matter of principle, I think that material from handouts, personal
views expressed in lectures, or views put forward in conversation, in
private letters or email-exchanges should not be quoted unless the  source
has given his or her permission (such views should of course then be quoted
as "personal communication").

There may, however, be exceptions to this. If, for instance, NN travels the
world loudly and repeatedly claiming X and denying Y, s/he may not have the
same right to other people's discretion as less boisterous personalities. I
leave it to others to define other "grey zones".

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo